Here's the Recipe that inspired my Tomato Pie (click here for printable recipe)
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped (I used some fresh Thyme too)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion (I used a white onion, since that's what I had)
- 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell (I whipped up my own homemade crust, the recipe is here)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup mayonnaise (o YEAH!!! don't leave this out)
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degreesPlace the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
|This is an important step, don't forget it.|
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.