Next I cut out the letters and laid them on the painting to figure out the placement. Then I peeled and stuck the letters to the canvas. The smaller letters I chose had more difficulty sticking then the larger ones. So if you're seeking perfection then the bigger the sticker the better. I also added 3 flower stickers.
I painted each letter and word individually to help them stick down better and then I went over the entire painting. I used Acrylic paint and it did leak under the stickers a little. I didn't mind though because I was going for something more rustic. I also thought it would add to the theme of my quote if I had a few "mistakes." I bet that spray paint wouldn't leak as badly and also using bigger letters would help.
Let your painting dry for a few hours and then start peeling off the letters. This part is so satisfying. Watch out it can be addictive. So much that I walked away from the project for a minute only to return and see my husband happily peeling away. It's fun to reveal what's underneath the sticker! Peeling off those stickers was similar to peeling away layers of dead skin after a bad sunburn. Those of you who've had a bad sunburn know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't deny it!
Lastly step back and enjoy your masterpiece, then find a grand place to hang it!